Mustang tour will break record October 28, 2008Posted by Ron Warnick in Events, Road trips, Vehicles.
The Mustangs Across America tour, which will trace part of Route 66, isn’t for another six months, but it has already broken the event’s record for most cars that will be participating.
According to TheMustangNews.com, 345 cars have already been signed up for the mid-April tour. That breaks the record of 334 cars in 2004. The 2009 tour marks the 45th anniversary of the Ford Mustang.
Records have also been broken in the amount of foreign participants who have signed up for the 2009 Mustangs Across America 45th Anniversary Drive. This year attendees are coming from over 10 countries including Australia, Canada, Belgium, Denmark, Germany, New Zealand, Slovakia, South Africa, Sweden, The Netherlands and the United Kingdom. Over 75 registered parties are coming from abroad for the Mustangs Across America 45th Anniversary Drive, which is an all time record for the event.
Mustang enthusiasts from all over the United States are also well represented with participants from over 38 of the 50 states including even Alaska. Mustangs of nearly all vintages and model designations will be participating in the caravan road trip, representing the breed from 1964 through 2009 and beyond.
“To have so many people planning to make this historic Mustang drive with us in 2009 is a humbling testament to the Mustang spirit”, says event coordinator Sam Haymart. “Despite the gloom and doom of our economic news in the past year, the enthusiasm of the open road and desire to be a part of this event has risen above it all”.
Registration for the event is open until April 5 by going to its Web site. Here’s the schedule:
- Friday, April 10: Kick-off and Welcome Reception – Las Vegas
- Saturday, April 11: Las Vegas to Holbrook, Ariz.
- Sunday, April 12: Holbrook, Ariz., to Santa Rosa, N.M.
- Monday, April 13: Santa Rosa, N.M., to Mustang, Okla.
- Tuesday, April 14: Mustang, Okal., to Shreveport/Bossier City, La.
- Wednesday, April 15: Shreveport/Bossier City, La., to Birmingham, Ala.
- Thursday – Sunday, April 16-19: Attend the MCA 45th Mustang Anniversary Celebration (Separate Registration Required with Mustang Club of America Event)
- Sunday, April 19: Mustangs Across America Dinner Banquet
Here’s a video from the 2004 tour: