The quarterly meeting of the Route 66 Association of Missouri, set for Jan. 16 after a noon lunch at Matt’s Steakhouse in Rolla, isn’t going to be just any meeting, according to a report by Three Rivers Publishing.
First, a Missouri Department of Transportation official will be discussing the Old Route 66 Bridge at Route 66 State Park near Eureka. The dilapidated bridge is in danger of being razed if an alternative preservation plan isn’t found.
Also, Great River Engineering representatives will talk about the Missouri Route 66 Byway Corridor Management Plan.
The plan is a required element of the byway and outlines plans to involve local communities and maintain, improve and promote Route 66. This project will fund the development of a 10-county corridor management plan for the Missouri Historic Route 66 Byway. Great River Engineering has developed a website outlining the plan. It can be accessed by visiting http://Route66.greatrivereng.com.
The next step in the plan process will be to conduct public meetings in each of the Missouri Route 66 counties. All government officials, business owners and other interested individuals are encouraged to attend the meeting in their area, or other scheduled meetings.
Here’s a list of the byway meetings by county. Each runs from 6 to 8 p.m., and public participation and discussion are encouraged:
- Lawrence County: Jan. 12, Mount Vernon Branch Library, Mount Vernon. Contact: David Eslick, 417-889-9332.
- Jasper County: Jan. 19, Powers Museum, Carthage. Contact: Michelle Hansford, 417-237-0456.
- Greene County: Jan. 21, Library Station, Springfield. Contact: David Eslick, 417-889-9332.
- Webster County: Jan. 28, Empire Bank Building, Marshfield. Contact: David Eslick, 417-889-9332.
- Laclede County: Feb. 2, Lebanon-Laclede County Library, Lebanon. Contact: Judy Wallmark, 417-588-6110.
- Pulaski County: Feb. 4, Pulaski County Tourism Bureau, St. Robert. Contact: Debbie Rhew, 573-759-7994.
- Phelps County: Feb. 9, Phelps County Courthouse, Rolla. Contact: Mark Stauter, 573-341-2932.
- Crawford County: Feb. 11, Recklein Auditorium in Cuba. Contact: Rev. Norman Heironimus, 573-259-3481.
- Franklin County: Feb. 16, Tri-County Senior Center, Pacific. Contact: Ron Sansone, 314-575-1771.
- St. Louis County: Feb. 17, Kirkwood Community Center, Kirkwood. Contact: James Crooks, 317-293-2540.
Here’s the Missouri association’s lunch registration form if you want to attend.