The story about winery, which has operated for nearly 10 years by Don and Annetta Neal, contains these fascinating nuggets:
- The main building of the site is a former Catholic church.
- Annetta was a schoolteacher for more than 20 years.
- The couple was inspired to go into winemaking by the film “A Walk in the Clouds.”
- The winery is a Certified Indian Business because Annetta is a member of the Cherokee Nation.
- The couple has a small vineyard in Stroud, but also in other areas to spread the risk from Oklahoma’s fickle weather patterns.
- The couple won a gold medal in the 2006 Finger Lakes International Wine Competition that included 4,000 wines from 20 nations.
It’s worth reading the whole thing.