The story about winery, which has operated for nearly 10 years by Don and Annetta Neal, contains these fascinating nuggets:
- The main building of the site is a former Catholic church.
- Annetta was a schoolteacher for more than 20 years.
- The couple was inspired to go into winemaking by the film “A Walk in the Clouds.”
- The winery is a Certified Indian Business because Annetta is a member of the Cherokee Nation.
- The couple has a small vineyard in Stroud, but also in other areas to spread the risk from Oklahoma’s fickle weather patterns.
- The couple won a gold medal in the 2006 Finger Lakes International Wine Competition that included 4,000 wines from 20 nations.
It’s worth reading the whole thing.
(Image of StableRidge Winery by Paul and Christa via Flickr)