According to Steve Turner, son of late Gay Parita owner Gary Turner, the following items were taken:
- Royal Crown thermometer by the Dunlop Tires sign
- Squirt oil sign below the Cooper Tires sign
- Small Sinclair credit cards sign near the front door
- Small Sinclair sign under the “Gas War” sign
- Paper towel dispenser by the red gas pump
- Lee Tires sign
The photo below will help you get an idea of what some of the above signs looked like. More photos are here.
A few signs also were damaged when the thieves apparently tried to pry them loose but were scared off or unsuccessful in their efforts.
It’s likely the thief or thieves live in the area, as not too many people outside the Route 66 community know that Gary’s wife also died just a few weeks ago. Steve Turner told me he’s installing more video cameras at the site to deter future burglaries.
Roadies probably ought to keep an eye out for similar items on eBay. If you see the signs in the Springfield, Missouri, area, you are urged to call the Springfield Police Department.
(Image of Gay Parita station by Larry Myhre via Flickr)