Route 66 News

Pasadena restaurant’s makeover reveals a vintage facade and neon

A restaurant renovating a building along an alignment of Route 66 in Pasadena, California, found a long-forgotten facade. The restaurant plans to preserve it and has “some cool plans in the works.”

Howlin’ Ray’s, which serves Nashville hot chicken, was doing a face-lift on the building at 800 Arroyo Parkway (aka Route 66) when it uncovered a vintage Adohr Milk Farms facade, along with intact neon lighting tubes, reported NBC Los Angeles.

The dairy was founded by Merritt and Rhoda Rindge Adamson in 1916 in nearby Tarzana, California. The facade is believed to date to the 1920s.

The Museum of Neon Art, based in nearby Glendale, California, posted these photos and more information:

Here’s Mike Frankovich’s video about the recent facade reveal:

Esotouric, an L.A.-based tour company, asked the restaurant directly on Twitter whether the facade would be preserved. It received a reply in the affirmative:

According to a 22-year-old article from the Los Angeles Times:

In 1916, Merritt Huntley Adamson Sr. and his heiress wife, Rhoda Rindge Adamson, whose parents were the last owners of the vast Spanish land grant in Malibu, founded a state-of-the-art dairy in Tarzana called Adohr Farms; Adohr was Rhoda spelled backward. […]
In 1947, Adohr Farms moved from Tarzana to Camarillo, and two years later Adamson shot himself to death, apparently despondent over his failing health after a stroke. […]
By 1966, the price of cattle feed had skyrocketed and the Adamson trustees were forced to sell Adohr Farms to the Southland Corp., which would change hands again more than two decades later. Making room for the Ward Plaza shopping center and the Westview Park subdivision, the dairy was torn down in 1969.

Exit mobile version