Tulsa’s Route 66 Neon Sign Grant Program recently saw the 29th sign through its program glow to life.
The latest is The Meat and Cheese Show shop at the corner of 11th Street (aka Route 66) and Peoria Avenue. The Meat and Cheese Show is a collaboration between two local chefs, offering catering, Tulsa cheeses and charcuterie.
Here’s what the new sign looks like, next to several others, via the Tulsa Route 66 Commission:
About a dozen more signs are in the fabrication or permitting process. Dennis Whitaker of the city’s planning office sent over this list of completed signs:
- Alpha Graphics, 2616 E. 11th St.
- Benchmark Monument, 1735 E. 11th St.
- Billy Ray’s BBQ, 3524 Southwest Blvd.
- Buck Atoms Cosmic Curios on Route 66, 1347 E. 11th St.
- Burnett’s Flowers, 1408 E. 11th St.
- Cities Service (Studio 45), 1648 Southwest Blvd.
- Day & Nite Rugs, 1012 S. Elgin St.
- Decopolis, 1401 E. 11th St.
- Eleventh Street Lofts and Shops, 2002 E. 11th St.
- Flo’s Burger Diner, 2604 E. 11th St.
- Interparts of Tulsa, 3615 E. 11th St.
- Justin Thompson Restaurant, 1115 S. Lewis Ave.
- Meadow Gold Lofts and Shops, 1306 E. 11th St.
- Meat and Cheese Show, 1306 E. 11th St.
- Mon Amie Nails and Spa, 1406 E. 11th St.
- Perkins Architectural, 20 S. Lewis Ave.
- Por Ella, 1404 E. 11th St.
- Renaissance Brewing Co., 1147 S. Lewis Ave.
- Smoke on 66 BBQ, 4265 Southwest Blvd.
- Spirit Dog Training, 1621 E. 11th St.
- Tally’s Good Food Cafe, 1102 S. Yale Ave.
- Transcendent, 1401-E E. 11th St.
- Tulsa Community College, 909 S. Boston Ave.
- Tulsa Market District, 1102 S. Lewis Ave.
- Tulsa Welding School, 2547 E. 11th St.
- U.S. Studio 66, 5202 E. 11th St.
- Vault Restaurant, 620 S. Cincinnati Ave.
- Wildflower Cafe, 1306-F E. 11th St.
These are the applicants that are having their signs made, installed or are going through the application process:
- Bobby O’s Pizza, 1502 E. 11th St.
- Boneyard Vintage, 1306-C E. 11th St.
- Cityscape Home Mortgage, 1115-D S. Lewis Ave.
- Heirloom Rustic Ale, 2113 E. Admiral Blvd.
- Howdy Burger, 1516 E. 11th St.
- Mother Road Motor Sports, 2208 Southwest Blvd.
- Sandusky Avenue Christian Church, 4424 E. 11th St.
- She Brews Coffee, 1 N. Lewis Ave.
- Sky Gallery, 1401 E. 11th St.
- Thelma’s Bar, 2008 E. Admiral Blvd.
- Tulsa Dental Time, 3747 E. 11th St.
- Bear Group, 1416 E. 11th St.
- Southwest Trading Company, 1306 S. Peoria Ave.
The neon-sign grant program is marking its second year this month, with the restoration of the Billy Ray’s BBQ sign being the first. With so many signs created or restored, I suspect the city of Albuquerque is going to look over its shoulder pretty soon.