Route 66 News was the first to have this story a few days ago, but the Springfield (Ill.) Journal-Register has elaborated about an old stretch of Route 66 south of Lake Springfield being designated to the National Register of Historic Places.
According to the nomination, the Springfield road was typical of two-lane, access highways in rural areas from 1921 to 1930, including the use of “Portland cement,” which was six inches deep and 16 feet wide. The road became a part of the Route 66 alignment in the mid-1920s.
“The surrounding farmland is much as it was in the period of significance and adds to the feel of time and place,” the listing stated.
Originally known as Olde Carriage Way, the road opened prior to the construction of Lake Springfield in the 1930s. Route 66 preservationists say a section of the road remains at the bottom of the lake.
The other two Illinois Route 66 sections on the National Register is the brick-road segment near Auburn and a section south of Litchfield.